Monday, January 26, 2009

P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps


A friend called this morning to ask for my P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps recipe. It's a perfect recipe for today's celebrations! I've tried this recipe myself and while it is a bit of work it is absolutely worth it for those special occasions. You can get the recipe for yourself here.

Some changes I made:
  1. I used apple cider instead of the dry sherry.
  2. To make it just like P.F. Chang's get ground chicken (or turkey). That way it's really tiny bits.
  3. I used 1/4 tsp dried ginger instead of fresh.
  4. Those cellophane noodles are so fun to cook, but make sure you put enough oil in the pan to cover them when you place them in, break it up into small sections and be ready to pull it out quickly. It's so cool to watch it puff up, but too long in the oil and it burns.
By the way - if you're wondering how I knew what to replace sherry with, it's not that I have a clue at all. It's all about my  resources. This one is a list of nonalcoholic substitutes for wines, spirits and liqueurs. I wasn't really sure how I stood on alcohol in cooking until I did the research and found charts showing how little actually burned off. I'm not trying to make up anyone's mind on this, just properly inform you that it doesn't all burn off!

No comments: