Baked Potato Soup and Apple Crisp are two of the dishes I took to Kelly when she had her baby. I made mini bread loaves to serve the soup in (soup-in-a-loaf style). By request, here are the recipes:
BAKED POTATO SOUP
(Yield: 5-6 servings)
2 large baking potatoes
6 Tbs thinly sliced green onion (about 3)
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs flour
2 tsp snipped fresh dill or 1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cups milk
1 1/4 cups shredded American cheese
4 slices of bacon, crisp-cooked, drained,and crumbled
- Bake potatoes at 425 degrees for 40-60 minutes (or until tender). Scoop out white portion of each potato. Break up any large pieces. Discard skins.
- In a large saucepan cook 3 Tbs of the green onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, dill, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir for 12-15 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the potato and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir until cheese melts
- Top each serving with the remaining cheese, green onion, and the bacon.
4 medium apples (I prefer Granny Smith)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cram, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8x8 inch pan.
- Spread apples in pan. Mix remaining ingredients except cream and sprinkle over apples.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream