Homemade Granola Bars
- 2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- 1.5 oz raw sunflower seeds*
- 3 oz sliced almonds
- 1.5 oz wheat germ
- 6 oz honey
- 1 3/4 oz brown sugar
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz of a variety of dried fruit (blueberries, cherries, apricots, raisins)
- Place all dry ingredients on a cookie sheet. Stir so all ingredients are mixed together. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine all wet ingredients. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add dry ingredients and mix.
- Chop all dried fruit and add to the mixture in the saucepan. Mix well.
- Place in a well-greased 9x9 inch pan. Press very firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Run a knife around the edges and turn the bars out of the pan onto a cutting board. Cut into bars.
*The recipe calls for unshelled sunflower seeds, but I would recommend that you use the shelled seeds (unless you like eating the shells).